Sunday, January 26, 2014

Something Just Ain't Right...

I'm used to rain and cold messing with my DSL, but we've had seriously degraded Internet for the past several days, even when it is sunny outside.
This is my speed test results this morning.  I did look into getting Internet America which is a service that puts a huge mast in your yard and gets a signal from a water tower a few miles away.  But when they sent me back a quote, the start up costs (installation and the purchase of equipment) combined with the monthly fee for not much more of a speed than what I'm supposed to get with DSL made me skip that idea.  I will just say that what they show on their web page is not what they offered me.

I often see these commercials for HughesNet but to be honest, it seems like everyone I talk to who has had it was unhappy.  Regardless, I may call them and see what they can offer.

Of course, all of this is one of the cons about moving out of the city.  I love Internet and would love to waste hours at a time clicking on YouTube videos, but it is a minor irritant compared to the traffic and other nonsense we no longer have to deal with. 
I am predicting that within the next decade, AT&T or Time Warner will find us out here and we can get UVerse or Roadrunner.  Until then, I'm open to suggestions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock Solid Internet, Dave. Avoid Hughes like the plague. I fired Hughes within hours of getting Rock Solid.

Art

AlanDP said...

With Hughes Net you would only be able to stream about one movie per month and you'd have used up all your download allowance.

Dave said...

Yep, HughesNet is off the list.

I have been trying all week to get ahold of RSI. I sent an e-mail, left my contact information on their web page and spent quite a bit of time on hold being 1st in line. I'll continue to try, but geeze, they are making it tough.

Dave said...

Follow-up: RSI comes out on the 17th to hook us up!

Red said...

Really looking forward to the results of this one... just bought 12 acres out in Lytle!

Dave said...

Welcome to the area and by all means, we are all waiting for the results! I'll provide an update once we have the new service up and running.