Tuesday, June 11, 2013

He Lives: Reports of Chairs, Food, Links and More...

Just a short note here... I have not abandoned this place for the greener pastures of real life or IRL as the kids say.  But, real life does seem to take more of my time these days and as I promised myself a long time ago, I won't feel obligated to post if I don't have anything just bursting to get out. 

I can tell you that I am almost done with my second Adirondack chair, in fact, I had planned to have it ready for Eva to sit in on Sunday night as we watched the Spurs game out on our patio.  Unfortunately, as I was assembling things, I broke a critical piece that will have to be re-cut, re-sanded and re-glued. 
I was so disgusted with myself that I think it rubbed off on the Spurs and they ended up losing in a blow-out to the Miami Heat.  Let's trust that my vibe will be good in all future games.
We had a really lovely week with our granddaughter, here for a little summer vaca.  She so loves Gracie and the Little Kitty and Panda.  And I'm very happy to report that by all accounts everyone had a good time.  Can't wait for more!

I haven't been to Grady's in a long time.  I've always loved Grady's but since they closed the one on Zarzamora near Military Drive, it isn't convenient to work.  On Saturday, we went to the Grady's off of San Pedro near the Quarry and I had the catfish - good as usual.  I also swapped my fries for a side of onion rings.  Very bland, crunchy, battering that had no taste and required lots of salt and ketchup.  I also ordered a full serving of fried mushrooms for our party of 7 people and honestly, we didn't finish them all.  They were just not as good as the picture.  I like Grady's, but aside from the catfish and the iced tea, it was a bust.  We had to stop into Trader Joe's to buy cheap wine as a consolation.

I will tell you that we tried a new place for breakfast off of Sheperd Road in the small town of Atascosa, in Southwest Bexar County called La Esquinita, which I think roughly translates to The Corner.  It could mean something totally different, but that's what Eva told me it means.  Anyway, the sauce was so freakin' good and hot that it cleared my sinuses and I actually teared up a bit. They need to bottle that stuff and sell it. 

Hey, if you have a spare second, I'd like to recommend a link to a new blog called Universally Speaking.  She has just made her first post which I have to confess, I found wonderful.  Erica grew up with our kids and she had this wonderful ability to read and understand big words and ideas at a very early age.  She shocked us all with her ability to write, probably much better than the adults around her before she was out of the 4th or 5th grade.  I have wanted to her to write things that others could enjoy for so long, and now she has opened up to give blogging a shot.  It's free, so why not take a few minutes to read and offer her some encouragement. 

Okay - I'll be back with pictures of a finished Adirondack, stories of food eaten, adventures had and a picture or two.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Glad to see you're still around. That real life thing certainly has a way of interrupting things doesn't it? I look forward to future articles when you can.

Steve

MsBelinda said...

I can't look at an Adirondack chair without thinking of you, lol :D

Yeah that game 2 was horrible but they sure made up for it on Game 3.

Your little granddaughter is a doll :)