Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lunch Report: Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que

Finally, after being on our list of places to eat for at least several years, we got our butts to New Braunfels and had a delicious sampling of the fine offerings at Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-b-que.  Now I get it.
The folks at Cooper's have quite an operation and they've got some pretty famous fans.  I hear that a fairly recent former president would order up a feast and have it sent to the White House.  But you won't require a presidential decree to get some of your own tasty treats, you just have to get yourself over there and not put it off like we did.
Set back from a huge parking lot, the building has an entrance on one side so you can walk in and start the ordering process, then proceed in a cafeteria line style down to the cashier.  Unlike a lot of BBQ places we visit, the actual cooking seems to be done in a back area thereby leaving the restaurant itself smoke free.  But that doesn't mean you don't see the meat you are about to eat.

As a grill man presides over a huge selection of ribs, brisket, sausage and such, you point to the pieces you want.  I thought that was pretty good.  From there, you move down the line to get your sides and finally pay for your feast. 
The seating area is community style tables and benches.  You find the amount of space you need, elbow yourself in and get to setting up the paper used to toss the meats on.  I really appreciated the multiple drink stations, huge tea dispensers, and cauldrons full of beans for the taking.

We ordered the family pack of brisket and sausage, and since there were five of us, we also got a half chicken and some pork ribs.   Our grill man gave us the choice of marbled or lean brisket and we took the lean.  Great choice.  With or without the dipping sauce, the brisket was perhaps the finest I have ever tasted.  You hear people describe foods as melting in your mouth, and perhaps Cooper's brisket wasn't dissolving on contact, there was no fighting it to chew like I've experienced at some lesser operations.   If you get nothing else, get the brisket.

I usually don't go for sausage at BBQ places, but this stuff was very good.  The pork ribs were also wonderful.  Things are seasoned with the right amount of rub or whatever they use so that the dipping sauces is purely optional.  

I love me some grilled chicken and while this was as good as most, I wouldn't say it was the best.  Not dry, but I think the dipping sauce helped.
On to the sides.  We went with some mac & cheese and some mac & cheese with jalapenos, then tossed in some potato salad and a roasted corn on the cob for good measure.

Especially good was the mac & cheese with jalapenos.  If you have ever been to a place that sells those jalapeno bombers where they fill them with cheese then deep fry it all, that was the taste of this mac & cheese.  Yum!
 Aside from the fact that it looked weird being packed into a little container, the potato salad was excellent.

Eva did not like the roasted corn, mostly because of the excess pepper, but I thought it was just fine.  They also offer regular corn on the cob if you don't care for the roasted, peppery version.

Honestly, the best side of all was free.  In the area where you get your drinks and utensils and dipping sauce, they have these huge pots of beans with jalapenos floating around for good measure.  Absolutely fantastic.
For five of us to eat with some left over, it was $82.00.  If you want to go in on the cheap, I'd say get yourself some brisket, eat the free beans and have a nice iced tea.   I promise, at Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-b-que, you're in for a Tasty Treat!     

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good review! I miss Coopers. There's another one in Llano that I think is better than the one in New Braunfels.

MsBelinda said...

I enjoyed your review and of course the pictures of the food...Mmmmm I can just taste it.

I prefer brisket but honestly it all looks good.

Maureen said...

I'm diggin' the WVSR shirt. Food looks pretty good.

Dave said...

There's another one in Llano that I think is better than the one in New Braunfels.

Yea - I hear that the Llano store is where Texas Country Reporter declared them as the best bbq in TX. I'd like to visit, just to be sure!

I prefer brisket but honestly it all looks good.

MsBelinda, you can't go wrong with a plate full of brisket!

I'm diggin' the WVSR shirt

Hey Maureen, thanks for noticing. Perhaps I should submit the picture to the official fish sighting page at WVSR.com