Saturday, April 27, 2013

Living Vicariously Through My DVR...

I have lamented the fact that we are often tied to our DVR, zipping through the TV commercials and skimming through a standard half hour sitcom in about 20 minutes or so.  There are so many shows in the queue that Eva becomes nervous if we inadvertently watch 20 seconds of a commercial, lest that increase the time needed to watch a full show.  As the sun sets later in the evening, we have more time to enjoy the outdoors and do yard work, but of course, this increases the DVR backlog.  Ladies and gentlemen, this is what the youngsters call a 1st world problem.

So instead of whining, I’d like to update you on some of the shows that we do find time to watch.
First off, we are fast approaching season finales of The Americans and The Following.  I may have mentioned before, I am fascinated by The Americans, a Russian spy couple who live next door to an FBI agent who is currently unaware that he is chasing his neighbors.  I don’t know how realistic or accurate the tradecraft shown is or was, given that the show takes place during the 1980’s, but I just like it all.  Eva on the other hand hates both of the spies, not because they are spies but because she dislikes their personalities.  She politely watches me watch the show, and I appreciate that.  If you haven’t seen it, I’m sure they will show the entire season again.  Give it a shot.

Eva does like The Following and even if you have to suspend reality and accept the far reaching network of new disposable characters each week who conveniently show up just in time to wreak havoc on Kevin Bacon’s character, you may enjoy it too.  The show is violent and not nearly as predictable as I expected it to be.  People who seemed to be main characters in the pilot or first or second or third or fourth episode get knocked off just as easily as people who only have a five minute lifespan.  In a way, that pisses me off, but it certainly keeps you guessing.

A new show we started watching on CBS is called Golden Boy.  It is a cop show with sort of a twist.  7 years from now, the Golden Boy will be the Police Commissioner of NYC.  I’m sure Tom Selleck is amused.   So the beginning and end of each show is a flash-forward to the young PC giving advice to someone and the episode is him recounting what happened back in the old days (7 years ago) on what gave him such experience and wisdom.  If that was it, I’d just say I don’t like it.  I’d like to see Tom Selleck on Blue Bloods telling stories about what it was like 20 or 30 years ago when he was a cop (perhaps chasing The Americans in the 1980’s), but to suggest that in 7 years, a cop on the beat makes detective and becomes PC in NYC is just a bit much.  Anyway, there is a character actor who played on Boston Public and a few other shows who makes this one even palatable.  I gave up on the show after about the second or third episode but was lured back after my DVR continued to record it and Eva wanted to see it.  Check it out at your own risk. 

Oh - something that really upsets me about TV these days (besides the volume skyrocketing when a commercial comes on) is the constant use of little chiron logos on the bottom of the screen.  I don't mind so much when there is a weather warning or some breaking news, but when the local station covers the sub-titles in a show, that really pisses me off.  For example, the TV show The Mentalist uses little sub-titles to indicate the location of an investigation, say, "The Smedly Home, San Diego".  But if KENS-TV throws up some little station logo on top of that, you get "Home, San Diego."  I know, 1st world problems again, but you'd think that the guy putting up those advertisements could wait until after the sub-titles go away.

Good news:  Nurse Jackie is back on.  I suspect she’ll be on drugs before long.

More good news:  The Borgias is back in the full swing of things.  I’m frankly sort of freaked out about this incestuous flirtation between brother and sister, but apparently, this was a pretty common thing back in the day, so says my watching of The Gladiator and Joaquin Phoenix’s character.  All that aside, if you had any interest in The Sopranos, you’ll appreciate The Borgias.

We still have not made it past the first episode of season one of Game of Thrones.  If we would quit watching things like Swamp People and Ax Men, we might have some time to get into it.  I also have the first six episodes of Girls sitting in the queue.  I've heard that was good.

We did watch a movie recently called Django Unchained (the D is silent).  That was a good flick, though I must say, I am a Tarentino, DiCaprio, and Foxx fan so I was bound to enjoy it.  Danny Glover Samuel L. Jackson was also outstanding.  Brace yourself for non-stop use of the N-word, and enjoy the show.

 Eva and I are preparing for our anniversary coming up this week.  What do you get the woman who has me?  A projector, of course.  Since we've moved here, Eva has wanted to be able to sit outside and enjoy a movie in the evenings.  I've frankly put it off but finally pulled the trigger on Friday.
Here we are seeing how it would look with a sheet hanging over our shed.  No bueno.  Today I'll be scouring the Internet or local thrift shops for a real screen we can hang.  That is Archer on our shed.

Anyway, tell me what we're missing so we can load up the queue. 
  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you mean Samuel L. Jackson, not Danny Glover.

Dave said...

I think you mean Samuel L. Jackson, not Danny Glover.

I think you are right! Damn, that was some make-up.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, he was almost unrecognizable.

AlanDP said...

See if you can find the original Django movie. It's a ridiculously violent spaghetti western from 1966. It's just called "Django."

mojosalsa said...

I'm catching up with your blog here, but you've got to watch Justified, Bates Motel, Breaking Bad and the Missing. Game of Thrones is AWESOME, I hope you've started!