Friday, November 16, 2012

Has it Been a Week?

The last I recall, I was whining about my new coffee maker.  Okay, confession time.  I've been using the Keurig as a kickstart when I wake up before my regular coffee maker finishes the job.  Proof that I can learn to live with less than a full 10 ounce serving of coffee.
------<<<>>>------
Congrats to Facebook and Blogger friends Erik and Sabra on the arrival of their little one, Douglas. I'm sure Erik is glad to have another male in the house, what with all the women folk there.  Aside from being a mom, Sabra is probably one of the finest writers I've encountered in the local blog scene. I have followed her Trailer Park Paradise for years, and it was her ability to research and back-up her points with facts that contributed to my cancelling the San Antonio paper.  In short, this woman should probably be a producer for a news magazine on TV or at minimum, a columnist in the local paper.  You may not always agree with her point of view, but you'll know that she didn't just pull it out of her ass.  In the mean time, she's got a baby and some other chillin's to tend to.  Congrats again, you two.
------<<<>>>------
 My son and I went to the UTSA vs McNease State game at the Alamodome this past weekend.  Runners won it, which was a pleasant change of pace.  Interestingly, the McNease State team brought their own band and mascot to the game.  Made for a cool half-time show with the bands splitting the time.   In the later quarters, Rowdy, the UTSA mascot, and Rowdy, the McNease state mascot teamed up for some entertainment on the sidelines.  Good times.

Here is the introduction of the Runners.  I have to admit, this is my favorite part of the game.
------<<<>>>------
We took our little kitty, named Little Kitty to the local vet for some shots and such.  Turns out she has a heart murmur but is otherwise healthy.  Whatever.  She's welcome here as long as she wants to hang around.  We'll get her fixed in February.
 Did I mention they are building a Love's truck stop at exit #127 off of I-35 south in Natalia?  Here's the deal.  The off-ramps and on-ramps are not going to support that kind of traffic and we need to get some Texas Department of Transportation action over here ASAP.  If you are doing some research and you find this post from November 2012, feel free to quote me when I say that someone will be killed due to the jacked-up configuration and impossible turns that the 18-wheelers are going to have to make to exit and enter the highway.  And this Love's is not a surprise.  This has been in the works for over 2 years.  I'm going to write a letter or two to the state, and hope you do the same.
------<<<>>>------
Speaking of Natalia...  They opened up this new restaurant/bakery/grocery store in town called La Pasadita.  It was built on the grounds of what was Brown's Grocery.  Of course, ordinarily I would devote an entire post to a restaurant, but I'm simply short on time so I'll tell ya a few things and post a picture or two.
 The place is big and clean.  Unlike any other place to eat in Natalia, they have a huge, paved, well lighted parking lot with security cameras.  In short, welcome to the big city!
When you first walk in, you have arrived at a super-clean, well organized grocery store in the heart of Laredo I don't mean that in a negative way at all, but only to say, if you are in need of some Fabuloso-like products you can't find at the HEB, you can get them here without making a trip across the border.

Toward the back you will find the bakery and the restaurant.  Sorry I don't have a picture of the fresh pastries and Mexican breads, but this will save Eva trips to La Popular in San Antonio.
The dining area was extremely clean and the waitstaff was quick.  I'm sorry if I keep mentioning the word "clean" but if you are a connoisseur of the hole-in-the-wall the way I am, you naturally expect things to be run down and, less than sanitary.  This is not a hole-in-the-wall. 

Eva had the special which included a puffy taco, enchilada, rice & beans.  We both enjoyed the enchiladas and the chicken served with the puffy taco was pretty tasty.
I had the Mexican plate which included a crispy taco, enchiladas and excessive amounts of lettuce and such.  I thought it was all very good.  We didn't have a single complaint with any of the food or the service (though some friends who had dined a few days before us felt differently).  My only issue was that in comparison to similar fare nearby, the price was a bit spendy for lunch.  Did I mention the place was clean?

We do think that if we wanted to take a visitor out to a local Mexican place, this would be worth the price.  But for an everyday lunch, not so much.
 In comparison, we dined at Tacos El Rey on San Antonio's west side the previous weekend and both had the beef fajita platter for less. 

Anyway, I think if you live in the tri-city area of Lytle-Natalia-Devine, you ought to stop in and check the La Pasadita out.  I do want to go back for breakfast and try the pancakes.
 ------<<<>>>------

I'll follow-up this post tomorrow with a My Daily Deer.  The bad news is, I missed a great series of photos in broad daylight on Veteran's day.  Eva alerted me to quietly look out the window and see several little deer posing for my camera.  It was so perfect given that I live for the daytime shots.  Even as the deer saw Gracie and I walk outside, they stayed an posed for a bit.  I was seriously ready to spend money on enlarged prints and frames.  Of course, my batteries were dead and I did not get a single photo at all.  I've fixed all that and in the morning, I'll take a look at what will hopefully be lots of good day time pictures.  Or I'll simply go back to bed (after a few cups of Donut Shop coffee from the Keurig.

Final thing:  I may have to turn the ol' Captcha thing on for comments moderation.  Blogger and Google do a great job with catching spammers trying to leave comments.  A few got through this week (since deleted), but you would not believe the number of spam-detected comments I get in my personal e-mail every day.  Perhaps if I do the moderation for a few weeks, I can make them lose interest.  I'll have to think about it.



No comments: