Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Late Night Snack Report: In-N-Out Burger in Ft Worth...

Look, it is hard not to like the concept; a place that pretty much has an extremely limited menu (burgers, cheeseburgers, fries and shakes) and excels at it.  Down here in these parts, everyone is jealous (or Jelly as one of the young guys at work said) because you can only seem to find the In-N-Out in California and Vegas. 
 We want Trader Joe's (minus the peanut butter, thanks), and we want everything that is California, as long as we don't have to have the taxes and traffic that comes along with it.
 When my son found out that In-N-Out had set-up shop in the DFW area, what better place for us to grab a bite late Saturday evening when we met up in Arlington for the Cowboys-Bucs game the following morning?
We found the location at I-20 and Collins, not too far from our hotel, but at 9:30 in the evening, it was definitely beyond my normal dinner hour.  We walked in to a fully packed restaurant and stood in line to make our order. The place looked clean, well organized and fully manned to handle the large crowd inside, and the drive-thru traffic that wrapped around the store. 
 My son suggested that instead of regular fries, we ask for "Animal style" which is apparently an off the record/menu method for presenting the fries covered in grilled chopped onions, cheese and 1000 island dressing.  It looks positively disgusting, though if you were cruising the Vegas strip and had been drinking for half the night, I'm guessing this might be a way to go.  I'm just going to say, give it a shot if you feel like it, but I've pretty much had my experience, and I'll pass.
The burgers were also a big disappointment for Eva and I.  They were cooked fine, dressed properly, and the buns were great, in fact just as I like them.  But seriously, there was so much salt that it was hard to stomach.  I am hoping, and this happens in many places, that the cook was just totally ignoring the company standard for salt and just loading it up because he or she didn't know any better.  We often joke about burgers that are going to clog the arteries or instigate a sudden heart attack, but in this case, I think the health department just may want to step in and set up a blood pressure mobile outside in the parking lot.

I know many of the folks reading from outside the area swear by In-N-Out, and I hope you will come to their defense if I just happened to have a bad experience.  But honestly, like the Animal style of the fries, when it comes to In-N-Out, I'm gonna pass.

7 comments:

Maureen said...

I still haven't been but my husband went and was completely disappointed. He had no idea there was a secret menu, though, and he finds that extremely stupid. LOL for burgers, we stick to a local place called Molanki's or Mooyah. Those fries look horrendous, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Blasphemy! Das2

Sabra said...

Thus far I have been completely unimpressed with the burger chains out of staters swear by, like Smashburger and Five Guys. I've finally come to the conclusion that they simply haven't seen the light of Whataburger yet.

LarryLilly said...

I tried an In-and-Out when they moved to Rockwall. It was just a so so burger, nothing like their reputation would make. Mine wasnt salty and thats good, since i dont use salt much although my wife does. I can make a much better one at the house, and as far as being out, well, as stated previoulsy, any place that has a fire pit cooked burger will be better.

David Stone said...

It is in the category of McDonald's and Burger King, not Five Guys or Moo-yahs!. I'd personally choose In-and-Out over those in their category.

Dave said...

That explains it. I don't eat at McDonald's or Burger King either.

Kimothy Ho said...

Ahh... Animal style... I've considered getting my burger animal style, but never the fries. The fries are a love it or hate it sort of thing. It's just unusual for a fast food joint to serve real fresh cut fries, but they're also a little underdone. So you get the fresh taste but not that crunch texture that most people like. For me, they kinda have a nostalgia factor since my dad used to make fries for breakfast (what can I say? Immigrant parents). And though California has an agriculture-rich central coast, I've heard only Texas does beef right. So I'm sure there are a lot of other good spots that do never-frozen beef at the same price point, but out in LA, you pretty much spend $10 bucks for that or