Saturday, June 16, 2012

What Kind of Snake is This?

Eva walked out this morning to take the little dog (Maggie) to go pee pee and stood on the patio for a minute or two, then the two of them came right back in.  Not even ten minutes later, I was up and decided that both Gracie and Maggie could go outside and play a little.  As soon as I opened the back door, I saw this guy.
I quickly shut the door to keep the dogs from going out.  I think Gracie may have just avoided the snake altogether but little Maggie who has a fondness for eating anything that tries to get away from her (huge grasshoppers, ugly beetles, and any other slow bugs) would surely want to take a bite of this snake.  About a year ago, I saw a similar looking but larger snake close to the garage but it slithered away never to be seen again.  I think now with the clearing of the property next door, we have altered the hiding places for these little creatures and they are just trying to figure out where to hang out.
I'm really just interested in knowing what kind of snake it is.  He wasn't aggressive at all when I approached him, though he did coil a bit when I took the first picture with a flash.  I general, I understand snakes are good for killing small pests and such, but I really don't want to take a chance on him messing with my small pest, Maggie.

This one has gone to snake heaven and he is waiting patiently for the buzzards to remove his snake body from the disposal area on the street in front of our house.
-----
UPDATE: I think this is our little friend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's what my guess was going to be. I killed one once before I knew what it was. I killed another snake a couple weeks ago outside my gate/fence. I couldn't tell what kind it was since it was sliced and diced by the mower.

Anonymous said...

i know what kind of snake it is ..... It's a dead Snake :)

AlanDP said...

Checkered garter snake. They're everywhere. Non-venomous, and harmless. I see them in meter boxes all the time.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

'fucking snake.'

Dave said...

Jackie Sue cracks me up every time!

lotta joy said...

Garter Snake. You can always tell by the shape of the head. This one is not poisonous. A neighbor was published in our local paper for explaining how to tell is a snake is poisonous by looking at it's pupil...."round pupil is safe. Diamond slit is poisonous"

Our idiotic newspaper didn't take into account how CLOSE you'd have to be to see the pupil.

Dave said...

Yea. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get close enough to find out. At least now I can recognize the garter snakes around here. But any others, get the shovel!