Friday, March 9, 2012

Thank You, Lady Bird...

It seems to be that time of year again.  All the people in the subdivision will dispense with the mowing of the fields so that everyone can appreciate the Bluebonnets and other colorful flowers that are taking over.  In this part of Texas, you will see families pull off to the side of the highway, pull youngsters from the safety of car seats and toss them onto patches of flowers 15 feet from 18-wheelers whizzing by, all for a pretty picture of little ones surrounded by the beautiful flowers.
I took this picture a few days ago. No children were placed in danger.

With each new Bluebonnet that pops up in our front yard, Eva whispers are heartfelt, Thank you Lady Bird.  I don't believe that Lady Bird Johnson actually went around and tossed seeds along the Texas highways, but she is known as the Johnny Appleseed of wildflowers for her work in reintroducing many natural species into planned landscapes.  She also pushed the national highway beautification project. 
 These are actual Bluebonnets I took moments ago in the front yard.  You have to admit, they look pretty wonderful. 

2 comments:

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

oh you lucky bastard..I haven't seen any blue bonnets yet..and it's supposed to be a bumper crop this year..oh I hope so.

MsBelinda said...

I love blue bonnets but there does not seem to be many in this area.

Only place I see them is on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston.

My mom always thanks Lady Bird Johnson as well.