Saturday, February 25, 2012

Saturday Morning Report...

I was backing out of the driveway yesterday morning and realized that the wind had blown down three decorative windmills and our basketball goal.  Driving to work up I-35 was a chore, given the fact that every time I would get near an 18-wheeler, my truck would get caught in some sort of tornado-like wind-tunnel.  

When I got into the parking lot at work and had to make the long walk into the office, I was reminded once again of my time in San Angelo.  In the summer, there was a hot wind that would feel like someone was standing in front of your face with a blow dryer set on high heat.  Imagine walking however far it was from class back to the dorm.  And of course, in the winter, swap the blow torch for a blizzard blast of freezing air in face.  The best part was, trying to walk through the wind and keep your hat on your head.  Good times.

When I came home from work yesterday, I did not realize that the force of the wind had caused the automatic gate opener at the end of our driveway to malfunction, leaving about a two foot opening.  I walked in the house and let our dog Gracie go out and about 15 minutes later when we were getting ready to leave the house, we couldn't find her anywhere.  Still unaware that the gate was partially open, I walked around the back of the house fearing that she may have been injured or bitten by a snake or something.  Meanwhile, Eva went from room to room in the house trying to see if maybe she was under a bed taking a nap.  
We have a big yard, but it ain't that big.  She was simply gone.  I gotta tell you, it is an awful feeling when you look out and see nothing but trees and brush and the sun is rapidly going down, and the dog is nowhere to be found.

When I went toward the front I was able to finally see that the gate was open and I immediately jumped in the truck to go searching.  I made it to the end of the street and found her at a neighbors gate hunkered down and literally shaking like a leaf.  She had no idea where she was and as soon as she saw me open the door she came running and jumped inside.  Poor thing sat there in the seat and trembled until I pulled into our driveway and she recognized where she was.  We have taken her for walks, but for the most part, she stays in the yard so I think she must have chased something out of the yard and then lost track of where she was.  Needless to say, I'll be readjusting the gate opener this morning.

We went to Rocky's Grill in Devine last night to grab a bite.  Eva had the kid's spaghetti plate which she loved, and in keeping with the tradition of Lent did not eat the huge meatball that came with it.  Since I don't play the 40-day game, I gladly ate it and man was it good.  I did have fish so as not to offend anyone.  The special was Blackened Drum which I have never had before.  I wish I had taken a picture to share, because it looked good and tasted better.  I have never had a bad meal at Rocky's.

I have been thinking about changing up my style.  You know, a new look if you will.  My daughter had a dream that I was wearing a sweater vest and a bow tie.  My father used to rock the bow tie look.  I suspect I have a little too much girth in the mid-section to pull that off.
 
But I think this guy has a look I could go for.  The little hat rand matching socks really makes it work.  Of course, Eva vetoed the idea immediately. 
At this rate,  I may never have a chance to ride on the Cool Bus.

Speaking of spiffy rides...  Have you been to SAS (San Antonio Shoes) since they've completed the remodel?  Even if you have no intention of buying yourself some fancy silver grandma shoes, it is worth the trip.  The SAS factory store on New Laredo Highway has been a favorite place to visit for years.  I wrote about it here if you want to know more.  Anyway, they have remodeled and now have the full antique car display set-up under a covered area outside.  
 Some sweet rides to look at.
 We took The Bee for some new shoes the other day and just had a nice time.  Try it, you'll be happy you did. 

If you only had any idea how much hard drive space I have dedicated to pictures of deer that come by for a an evening stroll.  I just don't get tired of looking at them, I suppose.
 This picture looks like these two guys are getting ready to throw hands.  Actually, the camera just caught them in a bit of a staring contest.  No animals were harmed, on camera anyway.
 I thought this image had sort of an artistic look to it.  The deer is caught in a thick morning fog.
And finally, I leave you with one of my favorite looks for a buck around here.  He poses as if he knows the camera is looking for a good shot.  Luckily, there were no hunters out at midnight!

Off to an exciting weekend of who knows what...

1 comment:

MsBelinda said...

Glad you were able to find your dog.

Nice picture of the baby and of the deer.