Monday, January 2, 2012

Random Photo Report: Vietnam...

Over at the old blog I used to have a feature from time to time called the Random Photo Report.  I would like to start that up again, out here.

I have an ongoing project of scanning in the hard copy photographs that fill boxes of photo albums throughout the house. As I was going through yet another shoebox full of pictures taken over the years, tossed in no particular order, I stumbled upon a picture of my father, posing for the obligatory weapon shot.
When we deploy, regardless of duties, we somehow feel the urge to have pictures taken with guns.  I've done it, the kids do it, my dad did it.  These pictures say nothing of the actual danger that may or may not have come from the deployment or the day we pose, they are simply a reminder that regardless of who you are, in the military there is a potential for something bad to happen.  Sometimes an injury is sustained in theater, other times, it comes much later.

4 comments:

ctscribbler said...

Now that is a telling and profound comment..."other time, it comes much later." I know you don't do politics. etc. on this blog, but I have to say that one of the most heartbreaking and culturally damaging effects of our middle east involvement is that it has been so easy to ignore the whole thing unless you had family in the military. And that's wrong.

Re: the photo, OMG, that looks more like you than Dad!

Sharon

Radclyffe said...

What a handsome man. Thank you for posting this picture of a true hero, and thank you and all those in your family who have served this great nation. I look forward to more 'random' pics! Happy New Year!

Radclyffe said...

What a handsome man. Thank you for posting this picture of a true hero, and thank you and all those in your family who have served this great nation. I look forward to more 'random' pics! Happy New Year!

Dave said...

@Radclyffe: I appreciate the comments (twice even). I am often put off by the word "hero" only because it has become so overused in our society. But in context, it certainly applies here, and I truly appreciate your kindness.

@Sharon: I couldn't agree with you more. It is no stretch that I supported our efforts in both Iraq (I have my very own personal, well researched, insider view of why I supported the beginning of that conflict) and Afghanistan. I even initially supported those pundits who said we could not pull out for fear of giving future adversaries the idea that we don't have the stomach. Well the truth is, the American people do have the stomach when it matters. Our politicians and senior military leaders don't.

There is a quote by some random Marine who said, (paraphrased) America is not at war, the Marines are at war. America is at the mall.

I agree, and I would wholeheartedly support pulling stakes in Afghanistan immediately. I don't think that is a political view, I think it is a realistic assessment of the situation.