Monday, December 19, 2011

Book Review: Follow-up...

You'll recall not long ago, I posted my first book review of sorts telling about Nadine Hays Pisani's Happier Than a Billionaire.  Well, I should write a few more reviews because the author was kind enough to stumble upon the blog and send me an e-mail thanking me for the blog entry.  Isn't the Google an amazing thing?

I don't want to sound like Oprah, but I'm actually working on three different books at the moment.  A Larry McMurtry follow-up to The Last Picture Show (which I loved) called Texasville; a book of essays about John Hughes called Don't You Forget About Me, and finally, a book that probably really fits me called The Texas Hamburger by Rick Vanderpool.   

One of these books is really good and I can't wait to purchase the movie.  One of these books is interesting (if you are a big John Hughes fan, like me), and one of these books looks extremely disorganized, really seems like it is cut & paste from a lot of different sources, and does not fit me as well as you would think.  But I won't necessarily give you the details on which book is which until I finish reading them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave
I saw your comments on Happier Than a Billionaire, the day after I got back from Costa Rica, I bought the book on Amazon, and love it. I've been telling all of my friends about the book, and your blog. I'm a transplant from Austin now living (if you can call it that) in DC.

Love your blog and all your reviews, I've even eaten at some of your resturants.

Thanks for the stories, keeps em coming.


p.s. I found your original blog off of Jeff Key's West Virgina Surf Report.

Charlie

Dave said...

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you found the blog and I'm sure Nadine is glad you found the book at Amazon!

There is so much to see and do in DC and the surrounding area, but it turns out that you have to be there to see and do it. Cold weather sucks, and the traffic is even worse. Hopefully I can post some pictures and offer a taste of Texas to keep you from going crazy there.

Take care.