Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Report: That's a Wrap...

Well, 2011 was a good year for us, regardless of any issues we may have encountered with the health of family members, relationships, or the usual stuff we complain about because we don't have anything worse to complain about.  In the grand scheme of things, we never went hungry, we didn't miss any car payments, and nobody had anything amputated.  When you look at it from that perspective, I think it is only fair and reasonable to conclude the life has been good out here.

I gave up making new year resolutions a long time ago.  You won't find me at Gold's on Tuesday looking to get in on a new health club membership only to forget the address a few months later, and I sure as hell don't plan to stop watching cable TV.  You wouldn't be shocked to learn that I also don't participate in Lent, though I'm not offended in any way by those who do.

I do want to state that, in no way related to a new years resolution, Eva and I have both resolved, er, agreed between ourselves to get our fat asses back on the treadmill in 2012, and I personally need to lose the 15 or so pounds I gained this year.  You can learn a quick lesson from me:  Low carb ice cream does not work if you eat a Jethro-sized bowl every night.  I am done with ice cream, for the near future anyway.  That regular sized chocolate malt I had from Sonic this afternoon was my last one for the year, and for a while.

Eat less, exercise more.  But I won't stop eating burgers when I need to. And pizza if it is necessary.  And ribs.  Catfish is not fattening.

I often hear people say that beginning in the new year, they are not going to take crap from anyone.  I think this is a bad resolution to make.  It sets you up from the word go, to look for any opportunity to fight.  I will tell you this; I am going to try to stop worrying about what other people think of me.  Not in a way of purposely hurting the feelings of others, but in a way that considers my feelings as well as others, and a willingness to consider that my feelings may be more important to me than another person's.  You may not know this about me, but I get along with everyone.  I bend over backwards to consider the other person's point of view, and frankly, I wish more people were like me.  But since they aren't, I hope to put my own feelings into consideration in 2012.  But if I fail at that, you should know that I don't make new years resolutions.

The biggest disappointment of 2011 for Eva and I was that we have not been able to enjoy more time with our granddaughter.  This often happens in military life when families live far from home, and it also happens when relationships are strained.  And sometimes, it is both.  Like I say, I'm not here to make resolutions for the new year, but I'm hoping for a better 2012. 

In 2012, I will not purchase my wife anything pink.  I know this probably sounds silly.  I am a huge fan of the entire Breast Cancer awareness thing and all the pink ribbons and NFL uniforms and such.  I support it fully.  But I made the mistake of purchasing Eva a pink digital camera (several years ago) so she could take more pictures on her own to contribute to the blog.  I go through at least one camera a year, so between cameras, I end up using hers.  The pink one.  You won't find any masculinity issues here, and in fact, I often wear pinks, yellows, and other pastel colored shirts to work, but there is something about borrowing her pink camera or heaven forbid, needing to make a call on her pink iPhone.  Just this evening, the last day of the month in the last month of 2011, I dropped my camera on the patio and it did not survive the fall.  Any pictures I take until I can find a suitable replacement will be taken with a pink camera, and that just doesn't seem like something I want to do in 2012.  

Do you suppose a hundred years from tonight we will all get sick of that Rush album, 2112?  I like to think I'm a hip guy and have enjoyed a Prince album from time to time, but can we all agree that by new years eve going into 2000, we were all tired of partying like it was 1999?  

I hope that whatever resolutions you make or don't make, you'll continue to stop by from time to time and read what has been going on out here, and maybe leave a comment.

No comments: