Saturday, November 5, 2011

Breakfast Report: Sammy's in Castroville...

What have I been thinking all of these years?  My late father-in-law loved Sammy's and Eva has been trying to get me to go there for quite some time.  There has always been some sort of reason why not - either we were going somewhere else or we'd go there next time.  Well today, I was the one who actually suggested breakfast at Sammy's.
If you have ever driven through Castroville, you know Sammy's is right at the big intersection as you enter town, across the street from Haby's Bakery.  They have loads of parking because the place is always busy and frankly, I think that was one of my reasons for avoiding it - I just assumed that there would be a long wait to be seated and it would take forever to be served.   As it turned out, the place is big enough to accommodate all those people, and we did not have to wait at all.
Right away when you walk in, you'll see a seriously old school look.  They have been around since the late 1940's so I guess that would make sense.  I love this diner style bar seating in the front.  What you can't see from the picture is a case full of pies and pastries.  I imagine this bar as being the Earl Abel's of Castroville with people reading the local paper, enjoying a cup of coffee and a slice of pie.
Speaking of coffee, Eva just loves the old style cup and saucer.  I prefer a larger cup just so I don't need a refill after ever sip, but the coffee was good.
Trying to recreate my normal breakfast at Jim's, I ordered up the Good Morning (or something like that) breakfast which came with one pancake, eggs and bacon.  Excellent, especially the bacon. 
Eva got a side of hash browns which we both agreed were wonderful.  She asked for them to be cooked a little longer, and they got them crispy like she likes them.
The downside of our visit was the Belgian waffle she ordered.  It seriously was crap.  I don't know if they made it fresh on a waffle iron (I doubt it) or if it was previously frozen, but the inside seemed cold and it had a stale taste to it.  We won't make that mistake again.  She wouldn't finish it, even if it did come with whipped cream and a strawberry, so I slathered on a tub of butter then covered it with some syrup, and it was still gross.  I was seriously trying to force it down my throat when the waitress asked how everything was.  Instead of choking, I gave her a thumbs up.  I'm not a complainer, especially at a place I want to come back to.
All ugly waffles aside, I really liked the atmosphere, my breakfast and the coffee.  I am now really eager to return because I want to try the catfish (of course) and maybe even the steak.  We'll see how that goes.

Are you a regular at Sammy's?  How the heck did you let me wait this long to try them?

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I love Sammy's! For some reason one time when we went there we got the chili cheese fries, which is not something we normally order anywhere, and eeeyyummm!! I've also had a club sandwich there that is good. Cool old place.

Dave said...

Chili cheese fries. That's what I'm talkin' about!

Albatross said...

I've had the enchiladas there, and they were pretty good. I'll probably go back the next time I'm out that way.