Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Just a Minor Episode...

A funny thing happened during a routine doctor visit to refill my prescriptions.  In fact, it was so routine that I left half of my lunch sitting on my desk at work, fully expecting to be back in the office in under an hour or so.  Not wanting to violate any sort of HIPPA laws, I will just tell you that my doctor suspected I might be in the middle of a heart attack or perhaps some sort of PE event.  Okay, I've heard of patients getting "white coat" syndrome, but you could literally hear my sphincter wink several times when he looked at me and said he was extremely concerned. 


Funny, before long I was less nervous than embarrassed when I had to be wheeled out on a gurney from the clinic into an awaiting ambulance.  Note to self: In the future, refrain from looking at people being wheeled out on a gurney to an awaiting ambulance.  
We got to CHRISTUS Santa Rosa at Westover Hills and I got unhooked from all the wiring and tubes owned by the paramedics and swapped over to the wiring and tubes in the ER.  Once I hadn't died or anything, I called my office and asked them to put my fruit cup in the refrigerator.


In the end, the doctor gave me the option of being admitted or going home and setting up a meeting with a cardiologist in the morning.  In spite of the brand new and very clean facility at Santa Rosa and the very nice and professional people there, I decided to come home and get started fresh tomorrow.  Plus, I don't think they have the channel for Rescue Me at that place.


I don't know what could possibly have caused this issue, but surely, it couldn't possibly be related to my consumption of greasy cheeseburgers and general lack of exercise.  That much I'm sure of...
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you needed a Rx refill! I'm glad that your doctor spent the time to examine you so thoroughly and to send you to the ER. I hope and pray the cardiologist will find nothing seriously wrong. Keep us informed please. Take care, Sid

Albatross said...

Holy crap! I hope this is minor and fixable.

You will be in my thoughts.

RB said...

Big Dave,
I hope everything checks out. Hang tough and keep us updated. Thoughts and prayers for you and the fam.....

Bob

Dave said...

Thanks guys. I'm off to see the cardiologist for a quick eval on Friday. Hopefully he can schedule me for an exciting stress test involving a treadmill and some heavy breathing where I can walk shirtless in a room of people admiring my missing patches of chest hair. Perhaps pictures are in order.

All these years of dutifully wearing clean underwear free of holes for just such an event, and not a single person involved in my treatment demanded to inspect them. This was like studying all night for an especially tough spelling test only to have them ask you to write your name on the paper and that's it.

Albatross said...

Next time, don't wear any!

M2 said...

Well, at least you haven't lost your sense of humor!

Get well soon, Dave, maybe a few healthier restaurants are in order once you're back to full action!

Cheers! M2

Susan B said...

Well, did you have a stress test? I had one when I was 40 (a hundred years ago) and they never invited me back because I whined so much. Re: underwear, hahahahaha just the word makes me laugh.

Take care of yourself.

Sabra said...

Well, I'm guessing your trip to the football game means you're relatively okay. I'll pray you have no further problems.

Dave said...

I did go to see a cardiologist on Friday and he did schedule me for a stress test in a few weeks. The fact that he didn't see the need to do one immediately was a positive sign. He said it was still important to do it, but felt comfortable enough that I could go forth and enjoy the weekend without worry of needing an ambulance close by.