Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Walkway, The Rail, Mulch and Oh, Deer...

Our investment in Quikrete and crushed decayed granite continues.  This time, we made a walkway that extends from the pack patio out to our first island under some trees in the back yard.
I keep garbage cans behind the shed/garage and we decided to start there, making it easier to walk out there without getting all sandy. 
We also have some trees in that area that had looked pretty unsightly, so we decided to incorporate them into the mix.
 The idea for the project was to make a walkway that would make it easy to walk from the house to the island and not have to worry about stickers, poison nettle, holes and such, and more importantly, find a clear path from point A to point B after sundown.  
 We are pretty happy with how the tree came out.  We put in some river rock and then topped it off with a water feature that friends from the old neighborhood gave us.  It works well, I think.
 This entire project took 24 of the 80 pound bags of Quikrete, 1 1/2 yards of decayed granite and 1/2 a yard of river rock.  I should probably just start having them deliver pallets of this stuff to the house.
 Someday, when we have grass, it will all come together!
But first, we need to build a small raised vegetable garden in between the trees and the back of the shed.  I think that will be next.


 In unrelated news, we added some railing to the front porch of the house.  This is something we needed to do for a few reasons.  First, there is about an 18 inch drop from the porch down to the ground below.  That is pretty ridiculous.  Secondly, we needed something to make the front of our house look different from the apparent cookie cutter house that is being built at the end of our street.  Pretty much same layout, just a different color brick.  In ten years when there are houses all along the road, I'm sure it won't be noticeable.  The builder for some reason likes this floor plan (and we do too), but come on, we should shake things up a bit - maybe at least do a reverse or something.
And finally, we capped things off with some more mulch in the front. As we were putting in the mulch, we got a welcome smattering of raindrops.  I suspect that someday it will rain for real and the bushes that we have planted along the front sidewalk will grow to be big enough to be seen from the street!


In the "how sad is that?" department, we have finally found a place to set our camera where the deer feel comfortable enough to come and have their photo taken.  On the side of the house we set the camera on the fence and put some deer corn out.
I have more video and pictures of deer having a little snack at night than you can shake a stick at.  This is pretty typical.  They come in, have a little feed, look around and then after about ten or fifteen minutes, move along.

Because of the wind, I was having a problem with the motion sensor going off every time the weeds would move, and I hadn't caught any pictures of deer during the day. Perhaps I need a bigger SD card. 
The other day though, I got these pictures.  You can see the temperature gauge on the photo, 103 degrees.  Up at the airport in San Antonio it may be 99 or 98 but I assure you, it is always hotter out here in Natalia.  So anyway, look how pitiful this little creature is.  Needless to say, we'll be sure to keep the water bucket full and the feed coming. 

No comments: