Friday, June 24, 2011

Talkative Creatures...

When I was 16 and had my first car, a Camaro that was pretty sweet (after lots of work and money), I had this really interesting thought run through my mind from time to time.  Wouldn't it be cool if you could take your car to a place where they would change your oil?  And at this oil changing place, what if all of the mechanics were women?

So, 30 years later, I went to get the oil changed and the fantasy came true.  All women.  Yea.  So, moving right along...

By now you know we have this spiffy little camera set up to catch creatures in the night.  So I had it set up again last night and found that there is some sort of issue with it.  A quick search of the Internet reveals other consumers have had similar problems with the SD card reading Full (and thus, not recording anything) when in fact, the card is not full.  On the agenda Saturday includes a trip to Academy.  I'll let you know how that little transaction goes.

One of the really appealing things we have found since moving out here is that people are all so darned friendly.  I don't mean that sarcastically, by the way.  An example is that we have had two recent issues with house related things.  The A/C was jacked up and my gut reaction was to contact the Home Warranty people that we contracted with when we purchased the house.  By chance, I also let the builder/seller know the situation just so he could be aware of the problem.  I'll skip all the details (avoiding lawsuits and such - about how useless the "home warranty" people are for the second straight home that I have had them with) and just tell you that the builder/seller sent out his A/C guy and promptly fixed our problem - even after the warranty people had sent another company out.  That is an example of local people being awesome.   

Contain your giddiness.

There is a time and a place for everything.  I love talking with people as long as it is by e-mail and does not involve actual face to face interaction and preferably does not include the use of phones either.

Out here, people want to talk face to face.  My wife loves that sort of thing.  Seriously, she could make friends at an execution.  We have found that everywhere we go in Lytle, Natalia or Devine, people are just naturally friendly.  Frankly, there should be a manual on taking friendly chatter too far.  The other day I pulled into the drive through at Bill Miller's to grab an Iced Tea refill (half and half) which, given the fact that there was only one car in front of me, should have taken about two minutes at the most.
 Long story short: Waitress at the window was way too chatty with the person in front of me.  I don't care if the lady was your third grade teacher, let's move along, can't we?  Just look at the picture I finally snapped after what seemed like an hour of hand gesturing with no real exchange of money or food product.  Is that a gang sign or is the lady deaf?  "C" is for Chicken.

Having refrained from blasting my horn and ramming the vehicle in front of me, when I finally pulled up for my iced tea refill, the chatty Cathy refused to relinquish my refillable tea mug until we had exchanged family histories.  The hell?
 We had niece's little daughter over today.  Her name is Mya and she is so cute.  She likes the little swing I put up out in the yard.  Thankfully, she is not as talkative as the Bill Miller's drive through lady.

1 comment:

AlanDP said...

I known exactly what you mean about talking, and my wife sounds just like yours. She knows everyone, and talks to everyone. I say nothing, preferring to remain mysteriously aloof.