Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lurking Creatures....

So this past Father's Day, Eva got me one of those fancy cameras that hunters use to take pictures of deer so they can have a fond memory before they eat them.  I'm not looking to shoot anything, but I do like the idea of surveillance along the our border - er property line.

Anyway, after our first few days of moving the camera around to see what we could see, this is what we came up with.  Birds.  Birds like to drink water.  Lizards.  Lizards out here are huge.  Big enough to make the motion sensor on the camera start recording, but too camouflaged to notice in a small video.  Weird looking cat-like creatures.  There is a night scene of this little cat looking animal but it has a really long tail - at least as long as the cat's body, with rings around it.  Snakes.  Holy crap, there was a huge snake that seriously made me want to walk around with The Judge (if ya'  know what I mean).

So anyway, here it is for your viewing pleasure.  I hope to eventually have some good video of the deer that are somewhat camera shy.

PS: If you know what that weird cat-like thing is, leave a comment, won't you?  I need to make up some Chupacabras T-shirts!

5 comments:

Albatross said...

That, surprisingly enough, is called a ring-tailed cat. They're actually quite common in this area.

AlanDP said...

Bummer, Albatross beat me to it. They aren't actually cats, of course, or even related to cats. Where I live nobody calls them the "cat" part, we just call them ringtails. They are quite strictly nocturnal and extremely shy. About the only way you would ever see any is to walk around a lot at night with a light, or set up a remote camera.

maureen said...

We used to have a ringtail cat living at the bookstore where I worked. He would sneak in every night, grab whatever snacks he thought he needed, poop a little, and leave. Sometimes he would just go ahead and eat there, and leave the wrappers for us to pick up in the morning. His favorite treats were those little individual pecan pies followed closely by Bon Appetit Cheese Cake. We changed locations on campus about 2 years ago, so his cholesterol and sugars are probably back down to normal level for ringtail cats by now. I will tell you that my boss, a male, and myself, screamed like little bitches when he made an appearance during the day once......he turned and stared at us from up high with his beady little eyes and my boss grabbed his golf club and was going to beat the snot out of him,,,,,,,but he made his escape through a ceiling tile. Thank God.

Anonymous said...

It's a coatimundi, mountain variety I think.

Dave said...

I'm thinking we can go with the ringtail on this one. The coatimundi has a similar tail but the face was not the same. Clearly a cat-like feature versus what looks almost like a small bear face on the coatimundi.

Thanks for the insight, everyone!

@Maureen: We had a small family of racoons sneak into the secure facility I work in and help themselves to lots of snacks from our office snack bar. A caged raccoon mama is nothing to laugh at especially when you have her babies trapped in the next cage. Needless to say, there were more than a few rugged military types who screamed like little bitches when that thing began to hiss and claw at the cage. Naturally, I was not one of the non-manly ones who yelped, but I did take a few defensive steps away from the cage.