Thursday, June 23, 2011

Crazy Flying Creatures!

Holy Crap!  That is the cleaned up version of what I said at 5:30 this morning when I started to open the back door to let the dogs out. 
Last evening, Eva kept asking me if I heard this strange sound. I hadn't.  This morning, the sight of what she had heard made it obvious;  there had been a locust outbreak of biblical proportions.
 Okay, perhaps I'm a bit over dramatic about these things, but at 5:30AM, with the ground covered and hundreds more flying around, I was not about to let the dogs out or venture out myself.  For a brief moment, I thought about calling in sick for work.

In the end, I turned off all the lights and let the dogs go out the front door where I kept a can of wasp spray and a broom handy.  There were no sudden attacks, so we went back in and waited for the sun to come up.

When I left for work, the only signs of life were the occasional flutter from one of the flying objects grasping for the last few breaths of life.  I have no idea where the rest of them flew off to.
This is a close-up.  We know for sure it is not a ringtail cat.  Any idea what these flying beasts could be?
In an unrelated incident, my wife has a new friend to go along with her collection of frogs living in her plants out front.  This is Jimmy the Cricket.  I'm not kidding when I say he is the size of a small dog.  A very small dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what the red winged thing is. The grasshopper is a grasshopper. Do you have a county extention office in your county. I think I'd call and ask them.

I've never seen anything like that. Once I got ladybugs all over the windows and ceiling in one corner of a 7th floor apartment. It was weird. - Charlene