Monday, January 17, 2011

Just Add Water and Electricity...

The slab has cured enough for us to have the jacuzzi moved into place.  In spite of all these ideas that we had about moving it ourselves from our under the carport into place on the patio about 30 feet away, we opted to call Family Leisure and arrange to have the professionals come out and do it.  
In the end, I suspect it was worth $175 to have it exactly on the lines that I had measured out and not be suffering from a hernia or some other groin related injury.  As soon as the electricity gets installed (they won't be doing that until the construction on the garage is complete), we will fill'er up with some water, fire up the heater and jump in, rain or shine.  Can't wait!

Oh, speaking of water...  One of the minor irritants we have endured over the first month living out here has been the water pressure.   In our old house, the water pressure in the entire neighborhood was way over the top too high.  In fact, most of the people on our street (including us) at one time or another had pipe blow-outs resulting in minor (or sometimes major) floods.  The usual answer is to install one of these pressure regulating devices at the meter, and that solves the problem.  We never did.  Instead, I reinforced all my in-house water lines and we let the water flow, baby!

When we got out here, we were both stunned by the comparative dribble of water slowly leaking from the faucets.  Oh sure, perhaps I exaggerate, but the point is, the pressure was not enough.  And then I had an epiphany of sorts the other day.  I thought to myself, "Why don't I just walk out to the water meter and see if it is turned on all the way?"  Well, it was turned on all the way but the flow of water was being constrained by one of those evil water pressure regulators.  Don't tell the water company, but I busted out a few wrenches, lowered my jeans to the point of ass-crack exposure and commenced to do some quick plumbing.
I am happy to report that we now have an acceptable flow of water coming into the home.  No, nothing overboard like fire hose strength, but suitable enough to take a shower and not feel as though someone is pissing on your back and telling you it's raining.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, Did you check the PRV? You should be able to adjust it on top with an 1/2 " or a 5/16. Or does it just limit the flow? let me know

Justin

Anonymous said...

Also you can pick up a psi hose bib meter for a couple of bucks at Home Depot. 80 Psi tends to be the recommended pressure limit and is what I have at my house. From the picture that looks to be about what yours is, give or take. let me know your thoughts

Justin

Dave said...

I think the screw on top did the trick. I haven't measured the pressure but it seems to be much, much better! I will get one of the bib meters, mostly becasue I want to know how accurate your evaluation of the picture was!

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious ,Let me know