Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fenced In...

I opened the back door and Gracie sat their patiently waiting for me to put on her leash.  I stepped out onto the porch and made that little clicking sound with the tongue and roof of my mouth that people use to call dogs.  I should probably find out if there is a word for that.  She cautiously walked out onto the porch with me but looked up as if to ask if I had forgotten something.  I gave her the go ahead nod and she trotted out into the yard but stopped to look at me again as if she were wanting to say, "Really?
Her excitement about being free to chase the deer for several lots away from our yard was short lived, however, when she found that we had gotten the last section of fence in place. 

This morning after it warmed up a bit (Eva refused to work in 31 degree temps) we went out and finished putting the wire clips in place to tighten things up and make our amateur job look a lot less amateur than it was.  Interestingly enough, someone told us how much they paid to have a crew come in and install their fence, and we were pretty darn pleased at the savings.  
 
We took a drive into the Lytle HEB first thing this morning and it was the first time we had seen the place near empty.  It was like the Twilight Zone since every other time we have been in there, place has been packed.  In fact, we have gone in twice where people were actually standing at the door waiting for a shopping cart to be returned from the lot so they could shop.  I'm not talking about the HEB folks being lazy and not rounding up the carts, I'm talking about the cart guys running two or three carts at a time to people waiting, just so they could keep up with the crowd.

We had heard this rumor that HEB was planning on building an HEB Plus in Lytle.  Yay!  But not so fast.  My wife heard from another lady that it was all a big fake rumor and there was no plan for an awesome HEB Plus to be built out here.  I for one am prepared to contact my Senator!  Just kidding.  A little.  
On the way home, Eva finally got to see one of the deer by our house.  She keeps hearing from everyone who has come by, "Wow, did you see the size of that deer on the corner?" or "I nearly hit Bambi on my way in."  She was starting to think that it was all a big trick.  In fact, Gracie must have been in on it too, since she has the stickers in her fur to make it look like she was chasing deer through the brush.
  This little guy (or gal, I really don't know) was walking down the street when we came down the road and after casually jumping over a fence kindly waited long enough for me to take his picture.  Very thoughtful.  At least now my wife knows it wasn't all a big hoax like the HEB Plus deal.

3 comments:

Kathleen Scott said...

In time Ava will be grateful you don't see a lot of deer in your yard. Fewer deer= more flowers.

I was glad to find Living Out Here after you followed Hill Country Mysteries. Looks like we have a lot in common.

Dave said...

I think the deer will be nice to look at from a distance but you are right, the first time they go after a bunch of plants, we'll be wanting to fire up the grill!

Dave said...

An update on the HEB Plus rumor...